Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Home Improvement ManShee Style

So.....M & I decided to give our cozy little home a much needed facelift. While the first part of the summer was dedicated to the outside of our house, we decided to dedicate the fall to redecorating the inside, one room at a time. For a house that is under 1000 square feet, you'd think this would be easy, yes? No. A successful redeco requires two vital things: an eye for good taste and the ability to translate that good taste into your decor. We're working with neither. Now don't get me wrong, M can wear the hell out of a nice suit, but when it comes to home decor, he'd throw a Godfather poster on the wall and call it a day. And then there's me. I've always taken the road less traveled in terms of personal style, and when it comes to decorating, I suffer from multiple personality disorder. Part punk rock, part hippy, part Pottery Barn - I'm all over the place. What my mom politely refers to as "ecclectic" I refer to as urban kitsch. (Like your grandma's house, only a little less Betsy Ross and a little more Betsey Johnson.)

Keep in mind we're working with a small budget...and by that I mean no budget at all. Weddings don't come cheap and we're saving for one, so we're going to do everything we can to make this project an inexpensive one. If there's one thing I've learned from countless hours of HGTV it's that a fabulous alternative to buying new stuff is taking things you own and making them new again! For example, we're still rocking the same clunky IKEA coffee table I bought for my studio apartment in Queens 10 years ago but we're not ready to buy a new one. Easy solution? A new coat of paint in a new color. It's like getting a fun new table that didn't cost you a thing. We did the same with two side tables and two Adirondack chairs for our yard. Not only does a new coat of paint make your old furniture pop, but it's a great money saver. PLUS, you get to spend time with your honey doing something fun for your love nest. (Cut to me screaming "You're doing it wrong!" and M screaming back "How do you paint wrong? Seriously. Brush, paint, table. I think I can connect the dots.")

Quick tip: When painting (especially in 90 degree heat) make sure to have proper ventilation and drink plenty of water. M found that out the hard way when he almost passed out into a can of paint. Luckily it was Espresso Gloss, so he would have matched our TV stand.

Blog ya later, peeps.
XO, B

No comments:

Post a Comment